The rules

There has got to be common ground. I have started this blog to give people a place to tell their stories...positive stories . Too often we are mired down in the hows and whys, causes and cures. It is easy to forget that we are talking about people. One of the misconceptions that I have run into is that because I have children with disabilities-I am not allowed to have joy-nor are my children allowed to be joyful. Some of the comments I have received after relaying a funny story or anecdote...well you would think I had been kicking kittens.
So here are the rules. Anyone can submit a story,OR just a couple of sentences,OR a list of five great things either about their children or themselves. It must be positive, There will be no discusion of causes, cures, treatments, etc. There are more than enough places for that. Mean people will be deleted. If you are interested in taking part in this adventure please submit your story to kickingkittens@live.com please no pictures or video-lets keep it simple.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A new blog from and a post from Rob..

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Rob. I am a 27 year old Michigan male. I am not your average guy, as i am living with a dual diagnosis of ADHD and PDD-NOS. Life has not been easy. But, i manage :). I have made TREMENDOUS strides toward independence in the last few years. For example, i have my driver's liscence. And, believe it or not, i am 1 and a half weeks away from graduating from COLLEGE. Yes, that's right..when all is said and done, i will have a Bachelor's degree and an Associate's degree.. The Bachelor's being Sociology with a social services concentration, and an Associate's in Social Work.




That in itself is a tremendous accomplishment. But, it gets better. During my college career, in the summer of 2007, i got the opportunity to study abroad. In Shanghai, China, of all places. Yes, that's China, as in the other side of the world, as in the most populous nation in the world. I studied at Shanghi University for 4 weeks, taking courses in chinese religion, language, art, architecture, and literature. There was some languge instruction..but it wasnt lot of it..my formal introduction to the Chinese language itself came a year later, in the fall of 2008.



That brings me to my blog...i would be honored if you would list it along with the other blog links on your site, as you have done for Scott Lynn's comic. the address is http://ppd-nossocmajor.blogspot.com and the tite is "Soc Major with PDD-NOS."



If you did this favor for me, it would help increase traffic to my fairly new blog..and it could help others more by leading by example.. that it IS possible to live a somewhat normal life with autism specturum disorder

3 comments:

jazzygal said...

Thank you for sharing this post and your blog address Rob! It is wonderful to hear positive stories from adults. My boy is 10 years old with a diagnosis of PDDNOS and is doing fantastic....I must go check out your blog ;-) xx Jazzy

Kim Wombles said...

Yay, Rob, congrats! I'm looking forward to reading your blog.

kathleen said...

I have it up on my blog roll :)